Restoration and conversion of a three storey grade two listed horse and carriage repository into commercial office accommodation. This consisted of retaining and restoring key features, producing an attractive building environment to flexibly meet business needs, whilst preserving the building’s history and character and dramatically improving natural light levels into, and views out from, the building.
Cooper’s retains its original internal configuration which includes ramps to allow horses to walk up to first and second floor stalls, a central atrium which was formerly the auction parade area, a first floor ladies’ viewing gallery and an open plan top floor. New openings maintain the integrity of the historic internal subdivisions.
A simple palette of colours and materials was used to create a bright and modern environment with careful consideration taken to emphasise the beauty of the existing building.
London’s Bankside Power Station stood disused from 1981 until 2000, when it opened to the public as The Tate Modern. Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron approached the conversion with a relatively light hand, creating a contemporary public space without diminishing the building’s historical presence. The impressive cultural icon has since become the most visited museum of modern art in the world, revitalizing its formerly sequestered, industrial neighborhood.
Herzog & de Meuron chose to enhance the urban character of the building without detracting significantly from its form, allowing it to remain an experiential and visual piece in itself. The most apparent exterior alteration is the light beam set atop its roof, a horizontal contrast to the towering chimney. The light beam’s minimal geometry and translucent glass clearly differentiate it from the dark masonry and detailed brickwork of the original facade.
Newcastle’s Racquets Court was designed by Hubert Laws and built in 1888. There are only two surviving Racquets Courts left in the North of England. More recently, the building was owned by Newcastle City Council.
Restoration has been achieved by a team of architects, contractors and quantity surveyors: IDP, Tolent and Elliott.